I use this basic sauce in everything from Biscuits ‘n’ Gravy to Lasagna to Macaroni & Cheese – it’s so versatile and creamy….and easy.
To make 4 cups of bechamel sauce:
- 4 cups of milk (I don’t recommend using skim)
- 4 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and whisk until incorporated. Cook for about a minute while whisking.
- SLOWLY and GRADUALLY whisk in the milk.
- When all is incorporated, keep on medium heat and continue to stir occasionally while bringing to a boil. It will thicken.
- Taste it and add salt/pepper so it has flavor and doesn’t taste like hot milk (blech) – grate in the nutmeg and you are done!